Wednesday, August 11, 2004

another walking adventure

Happy Birthday, "Chica" :)
----\\----

So yesterday I walked the freedom trail. Despite it being 90 degrees outside and deciding to go on the spur of the moment in flip-flops, it was really great following the red brick road :) Ironically my favorite sites were the churches and burial grounds. I even left prayer requests, and at King's Chapel I prayed at the alter that they set up for visitors. The prayer was sincere, I even started by saying, "I don't know if anyone's listening up there but just in case here goes", but I felt like a hypocrite because of my on again, off again relationship with god. I realize though throughout my periods of not believing in christianity or any gods at all, I've never stopped being a really spiritual person. Hope I didn't just confuse people.

But anyway I made it thru the whole thing from the beginning, boston common, to the end in Charlestown. I even had time to climb bunker hill monument 10 minutes before it closed. But they lied. The guide said take your time because there are 264 steps but there were more like 296 and it was so hot and stuffy and crowded at the top, but it was still worth it. Other stuff during my walking adventure: ordered a frosty at mcdonald's, went thru a dust storm to get inside north station, during the first half of the trail I hooked up with some really interesting black people, but then when i entered the north end i was the only black/brown person for the rest of the trail. And all the extra security at the T stations made me feel even less secure because if I am in a potential terrorist location i'd really rather not know.

Of course there were a million things I could/should have done yesterday but I needed those 4 hours on the trail of not having to think about anything. In fact when I got back alot of stuff that I had been stressing about was no longer an issue. Oh and after all that walking and climbing I headed straight to the pool. I'm either a masochist or I'm addicted. Maybe I was just trying to exhaust myself to defeat the insomnia. My summer swim teacher lets me take his water workout classes whenever I want for free and after that I stayed to swim for another hour. But I still wasn't tired when I finally got home at 10... so I hung out with housemates then stayed up talking/laughing with my roommate. Last week I did miss her a little bit.

I think the freedom trail worked though because I actually got some real sleep last night: In 2 parts, a total of 6.5 hours. But I woke up sore all over and discovered that my roommate has started packing. I almost want to pretend that's she's just going away for the weekend. There's a good chance that I could be leaving Friday instead of Saturday, so I guess I should start packing too :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home