Sunday, August 08, 2004

sailing left unconquered

So I should be at the sailing pavilion right now but...I realized that the primary reason I kept the MIT sailing class on my summer to do list is because of the person who was going to do it with me. At the beginning of the summer, and to a smaller extent even now still despite my new confidence in the pool, I had an incredible fear of drowning. And when I have to walk across harvard bridge on a very windy day or really dark night, the thought of someone (me) falling into the river never fails to cross my mind. But I figured I could conquer yet another fear by going out on a little sailboat that constantly wobbles back and forth... As long as I was with someone I could trust. If anything happened, like me losing my balance and falling into the Charles, I trusted him to quickly handle the situation not just because of his sailing experience but because I just always feel safer around him. The first time we went we arrived too late to get a spot in the class but the second time it didn't work out because of my own shortcomings in our relationship. And even if I did get someone in my house to agree to the idea of waking up at 8am, I still wouldn't be there right now because I don't trust anyone else the way I trust him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home