Wednesday, July 28, 2004

the back bay and roommates

I only have 2.5 more weeks in Boston so I'm trying to take in as much as possible while I still can. Strangely that's beginning to mean that I want to spend more time alone rather than with friends. I'll miss little things like my roofdeck naps overlooking the Charles, reading in Boston Common, window-shopping on newbury, swimming almost everyday etc. And I can't share most of those things.

Anyway all of my close friends, besides 2, aren't anywhere near Boston this summer so I've been spending my time with old acquaintances, friends of friends, very new friends from last semester, housemate friends, and my roommate. The roommate experience has been very enlightening and fun but also difficult and tiring. Before this summer I only lived with strangers once: Fall of freshmen year, and they weren't complete strangers because I knew them from FLP. So the first day my roommate arrived, it was so weird (and unexpected) that I actually slept somewhere else. And even though we've spent a lot of time together I've shared very little of my personal life with her considering how much I know about her's. Lately though I've been doing my best to minimize the awake time that we're actually in the same room because having a high-strung and very very talkative roommate is like another job. 20 minutes ago I had to talk her thru another emotional meltdown over the silliest thing. Maybe I should be a psychiatrist instead of an engineer :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home